Member Handbook & Policies
Policies & Facility Rules
Membership Terms & Conditions
- Photo ID must be presented for all membership purchases, day pass purchases and guest pass use.
- Memberships are non-transferable and membership card sharing will result in suspension of membership privileges.
- All prices are subject to HST.
- Payment options include cash, debit, DALCARD, Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- Family passes: consists of 1 adult and his/her partner and their children under the age of 20. Family members must be related by blood, marriage, common-law or legal guardianship to be eligible.
- Children under 12 years of age must be supervised by an adult 18 years or older at all times while in the facility.
For complete membership terms and conditions rules, please review the Sexton Gym Member Agreement.
- Members are required to carry their membership ID cards to access the building. Staff reserve the right to ask for Sexton Gym ID at any time.
- Spouses/partners and children 12 years and over must have their own Sexton ID cards, even if on a family membership and may result in the termination of your membership.
- Members who forget their card will be given a limited number of grace entries (10 max) per semester. Once these are used, members must produce a valid membership card or purchase a replacement to gain access. Lost Sexton Gym membership cards will be replaced for a fee. Dalhousie University I.D. (for students, employees, alumni, etc.) must be replaced at the DalCard office.
- At Sexton Gym, a family is defined as the member, their partner/spouse and their dependent children all residing at the same address. Dependent children are those under 20 years of age and living at the same address as the parents/guardians. Proof of residency is required.
- While using Dalhousie’s athletic facilities members are not permitted to employ or use personal trainers or coaches who are not employed by and/or are not official volunteers of the Department of Athletics and Recreation.
For complete facility rules, please review the Sexton Gym Member Handbook.
The privacy of all members, guests and our staff is of the utmost importance to us. The use of camera/video enabled devices is strictly prohibited in any locker rooms/change room areas, restrooms, showers or saunas.
Members are permitted to use their camera/video enabled devices provided it is for personal use only, does not disrupt or capture the activity of others and is in accordance with Dalhousie University’s Code of Student Conduct and Harassment Policy and the Dalplex User Code of Conduct.
If you are interested in capturing photos or videos for professional purposes, or if you have a media request, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
General Rules & Regulations
For the protection, safety and enjoyment of all users, we ask that the following rules are followed:
- No soliciting.
- No food or drink (other than non-breakable water bottles) permitted in activity areas or locker rooms.
- Children under 14 are not permitted in the cardio & strength room.
- All personal trainers or coaches providing services in Dalhousie’s athletic facilities must be employed by and/or be official volunteers of the Dalhousie’s Department of Athletics and Recreation, with the exception of private rentals. The supply of services within Sexton and other Dalhousie athletic facilities remains proprietary to Dalhousie’s Department of Athletics and Recreation.
- Sexton Gym is a smoke-free and scent-free facility. Dalhousie University asks everyone to avoid wearing scented personal care products, as fragrances can trigger asthma attacks, allergies and other medical conditions. For more information on Dalhousie’s scent free policy please visit www.dal.ca/dept/safety/programs-services/occupational-safety/scent-free.html. Smoking is not permitted on the Dalhousie campus.
- Sexton Gym does not condone profanity or insulting slogans on members’ attire. Sexton reserves the right to govern appropriate apparel while using the athletic facilities. Proper athletic wear is required for exercise including appropriate shirts, shorts/athletic pants and athletic footwear in all areas. No open toe shoes, sandals or bare feet are permitted.
- We request that members report violations of the rules or damaged equipment to the Client Experience Centre staff.
- Sexton staff have the right to revoke membership privileges based on non-compliance to established rules and regulations.
Weight Room Rules
- Minimum age for weight room use is 14 years old.
- Gym chalk is not permitted.
- The use of a spotter is highly recommended while using weight room equipment.
- Do not rest on equipment.
- Do not drop the weights on the floor.
- Weight collars must be used on barbells.
- Weight room users must return weight plates to the storage racks provided.
- Wipe down all equipment with a cloth and the cleaning spray supplied by Dalplex. Do not spray equipment directly, instead spray a cloth and wipe down machines or mats.
- Please be courteous to other users at all times.
- Members must follow the direction of weight room monitors and facility staff at all times.
- Parking passes are not available for Sexton Gym members.
- Parking may be available at nearby meters.
- Faculty, staff and student members must purchase a Dalhousie University parking permit through Dalhousie Security Services to park on campus.
- The Dalhousie campus parking lot is the property of Dalhousie and is monitored and operated by Dalhousie Security Services.
- All parking violations are the responsibility of the vehicle owner.
- Any vehicles illegally parked in Dalhousie University designated spaces or at expired meters, in fire lanes, or in other areas not specifically designated for parking will be subject to ticketing, immobilization, and/or towing at any time.
- Additional information regarding parking on Dalhousie Campus can be found online at www.dal.ca/parking
Member Freezing Policy
Our membership freezing policy, in effect as of April 2015, is as follows:
- Memberships can be suspended or “frozen” for personal reasons once per calendar year, at no cost, for a minimum of one (1) month and a maximum of four (4) months.
- Additional personal freezes within the same calendar year are permitted at a cost of $25 per freeze and are required to be for a minimum of one (1) month and a maximum of four (4) months.
- Memberships can be frozen at any time for medical reasons for a minimum duration of one (1) month and require receipt of medical evidence from the member. There is no charge for a medical freeze.
- Members with family or add-on memberships can choose to freeze either one (1) or all memberships associated with their account. When a single membership is frozen, any additional time allocated to the membership will be divided equally among all associated memberships to ensure a consistent membership expiry date. When all associated memberships are frozen, they must be unfrozen at the same time.
- A minimum of three (3) days written notice and the return of membership cards and parking permits is required prior to authorizing a freeze.
- Pre-authorized payments or payroll deductions will continue while memberships are frozen but membership expiry dates will be adjusted accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is anyone allowed to freeze their membership?
YES, all the membership categories are eligible for a membership freeze.
Can I freeze my membership for more than 4 months?
NO, you can't unless it is for medical reasons. In that case, you are required to provide receipt of medical evidence (i.e.: a note from your doctor) to the Customer Service Centre when you request to freeze your membership.
If you have any other questions about our new freezing policy, please email email@example.com or you can speak directly to one of our Customer Service Supervisors by calling 902-494-6162.
Member Cancellation Policy
- Memberships may be cancelled for a full refund within 10 days of date of purchase.
- After the inital 10 day trial period has ended, membership may be cancelled upon receipt of written notice (some conditions apply, see details below) from the member and return of Dalplex parking permit (if applicable).
- If membership cancellation occurs before the completion of the initial 12-month term, a cancellation fee of $25 will apply
- All cancellations must be requested in person at the Dalplex Customer Service desk or in writing via firstname.lastname@example.org. Regretfully we cannot accept cancellations over the phone.
Cancellation of Paid-In-Full Membership:
- Cancellation requests must be made with a minimum of 30 days notice.
Cancellation of Pre-Authorized Payment Membership:
- Cancellation requests must be made a minimum of 30 days prior to the next preauthorized payment due date.
Cancellation of Corporate Membership with Payroll Deduction:
- Cancellation requests must be made a minimum of 30 business days prior to the next preauthorized payroll deduction.
Cancellation of Dalhousie Faculty or Staff Membership with Payroll Deduction:
- Cancellation requests must be received prior to the 8th day of the month in order to cancel the next preauthorized payroll deduction.
- The initial term of an annual membership is 12 months.
- Memberships paid by monthly pre-authorized payments automatically renew for an additional 12 month term on the anniversary of the original term or any renewals thereof unless the member requests to cancel the membership in writing prior to renewal.
- If a member requests that we do not renew their membership after their initial 12 month term, the cancellation fee will be waived.
- Sexton Gym will provide the member with written notice of the upcoming auto renewal. It is the member’s responsibility to ensure all member contact information remains current.
- Membership fees will not be refunded if a member fails to cancel the membership prior to its automatic renewal as per the terms of our membership agreement.
- Complimentary memberships and multi-visit passes do not automatically renew.