Member Handbook & Policies
Policies & Facility Rules
Membership Terms & Conditions
- Photo ID must be presented for all membership purchases, day pass purchases and guest pass use.
- Memberships are non-transferable and membership card sharing will result in suspension of membership privileges.
- All prices are subject to HST.
- Payment options include cash, debit, DALCARD, Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- Family passes: consists of 1 adult and his/her partner and their children under the age of 20. Family members must be related by blood, marriage, common-law or legal guardianship to be eligible.
- Children under 12 years of age must be supervised by an adult 18 years or older at all times while in the facility.
For complete membership terms and conditions rules, please review the Dalplex Member Agreement.
- Members are required to carry their membership ID cards to access the building. Staff reserve the right to ask for Dalplex ID at any time.
- Children under 12 are not eligible to receive Dalplex ID cards and MUST be accompanied and supervised by a parent/guardian 18 years of age and over, with a valid Dalplex membership.
- Spouses/partners and children 12 years and over must have their own Dalplex ID cards, even if on a family membership.
- The sharing of ID cards is forbidden; membership cards are not transferable. Sharing cards will result in suspension for both the cardholder and the Dalplex member involved.
- Members and students who forget their card will be given 15 grace entries per year (January 1-December 31). Once these are used, members/students must produce a valid membership card or purchase a replacement to gain access. Lost Dalplex membership cards will be replaced for a fee. Students must contact the DalCard office to acquire a new student card.
- At Dalplex, a family is defined as a member, their partner/spouse and their children. Dependent children are those under 20 years of age and living at the same address as the parents/guardians.
- Members are not permitted to employ or use personal trainers or coaches who are not employed by and/or are not official volunteers of the Department of Athletics and Recreational Services while using Dalhousie athletic facilities.
For complete facility rules, please review the Dalplex Member Handbook.
The privacy of all members, guests and our staff is of the utmost importance to us. The use of camera/video enabled devices is strictly prohibited in any locker rooms/change room areas, restrooms, showers or saunas.
Members are permitted to use their camera/video enabled devices provided it is for personal use only, does not disrupt or capture the activity of others and is in accordance with Dalhousie University’s Code of Student Conduct and Harassment Policy and the Dalplex User Code of Conduct.
If you are interested in capturing photos or videos for professional purposes, or if you have a media request, please contact email@example.com
General Rules & Regulations
For the protection, safety and enjoyment of all users, we ask that the following rules are followed:
- In using Dalhousie University’s Dalplex facility, members and guests are subject to all university policies, including the Code of Student Conduct and the University’s harassment policies. Should you experience uncooperative or disrespectful behaviour, please let our staff know and we will do our best to rectify the situation.
- No food or drink other than non-breakable water bottles is permitted in activity areas, pool or locker rooms.
- Open toe footwear, bare feet and swimwear are permitted in the pool area only.
- Children under 14 are not permitted in the fitness hall.
- All personal trainers or coaches providing services in Dalhousie’s athletic facilities must be employed by and/or be official volunteers of the Dalhousie’s Department of Athletics and Recreation, with the exception of private rentals or when the Department determines there to be extenuating circumstances. The supply of services within Dalplex and other Dalhousie athletic facilities remains proprietary to Dalhousie’s Department of Athletics and Recreation.
- Children over school age may not use locker rooms of the opposite sex. Please use one of our Universal Change rooms if you would like to change together.
- Gym bags are not permitted in fitness hall unless placed in the storage racks provided.
- Dalplex is a smoke-free and scent-free facility. Dalhousie University asks people to avoid wearing scented personal care products, as fragrances can trigger asthma attacks, allergies and other medical conditions. For more information on Dalhousie’s scent free policy please visit www.dal.ca/scent-free. Smoking is not permitted on the Dalhousie campus.
- Dalplex does not condone profanity or insulting slogans on members’ attire. Dalplex reserves the right to govern appropriate apparel while using the athletic facilities. Proper athletic wear is required for exercise including appropriate shirts, shorts/athletic pants and athletic footwear in all areas.
- We request that members please report violations of the rules or damaged equipment to the building supervisor on duty or to the Client Experience Centre staff.
- Dalplex staff have the right to revoke membership privileges based on non-compliance to established policies and procedures.
Weight Room Rules
- Minimum age for weight room use is 14 years old.
- Gym chalk is not permitted.
- The use of a spotter is highly recommended while using weight room equipment.
- Do not rest on equipment.
- Do not drop the weights on the floor.
- Weight collars must be used on barbells.
- Weight room users must return weight plates to the storage racks provided.
- Wipe down all equipment with a cloth and the cleaning spray supplied by Dalplex. Do not spray equipment directly, instead spray a cloth and wipe down machines or mats.
- Please be courteous to other users at all times.
- Members must follow the direction of weight room monitors and facility staff at all times.
General Pool Rules
- Children 12 years and under MUST be supervised by an adult (18+ years) at all times in all areas of the facility.
- Children aged 7 years and under MUST remain within arm’s reach of a parent or guardian (18+ years) at a ratio of 1 adult to 2 children.
- Children 7 years and under are not permitted in the deep end without a properly fitted PFD.
- Children 7 years and under who wish to swim in the water without an adult who is within arm’s reach or swim in the deep end without a PFD must achieve “special swimmer status.” Please see a Lifeguard for more details.
- It is important to note that a foam noodle is not a replacement for a PFD. It is unsafe and a liability issue.
- Children over school age may not use locker rooms of the opposite sex. Please use our Family Change Room if you would like to change together.
- Please walk with caution on the pool deck as it is wet and slippery. No running!
- Outdoor footwear are not permitted on the pool deck.
- Spitting, spouting or nose-blowing in the pool is strictly prohibited.
- Food, beverages or breakable items are not permitted on the pool deck.
- Dispose of gum in a garbage can before entering the pool.
- All patrons must take a shower before entering the pool.
- Anyone with open cuts, sores, bandages, colds, coughs or infected eyes are not permitted in the pool.
- Proper swim attire is required. Cut-off shorts, underwear, sports bras and loose-fitting clothing are not permitted.
- Diving is only permitted in the deep end.
- Starting blocks are reserved for competitive training only.
- Do not walk on or swim under the bulkhead.
- Do not sit or hang on the lane lines.
- Please exit the water at the end of the lanes (indicated by lane lines). Do not swim through them.
- No rough-housing in the pool at any time.
- Foul language is not acceptable anywhere in the building.
- Patrons are not permitted to sit on each other’s shoulders.
- Do not stand on the mats.
- Pool toys must remain in the shallow end.
- Do not throw any equipment or toys or hit others with them.
- Fitness belts are not flotation devices. They are only available for fitness classes.
Diving Board Rules
- Diving boards are only available for use during Open Swims.
- Only one person is allowed on the diving board at any time.
- Only one bounce per dive when using the diving board. No bum drops!
- Dive straight ahead from the end of the board. No jumping or diving off of the side of the diving board.
- Avoid diving/jumping when other swimmers are present below the diving board. Wait until they have cleared.
- Attempting twists and flips from the diving board is not recommended unless trained by a diving coach.
- No hanging onto the diving board from underneath.
- PFDs are not permitted on any of the diving boards or platforms.
Tarzan Rope Rules
- Tarzan Rope is only available for use during Open Swims.
- Only one person is allowed on the rope at a time.
- Ensure the area in the water is clear before swinging out on the rope.
- When using the Tarzan rope, swing straight out and let go when it has reached the end of its’ swing. For your safety, do not swing back towards the pool deck.
- No climbing up the rope.
Pool Photography Policy
Cameras, video cameras, mobile phones, or any other type of recording equipment are not permitted on the pool deck, with the exception of birthday parties, swim meets and private rentals.
Permission for photography or video recording within the Department of Athletics and Recreational Services’ facilities must be requested and and approved from the Manager of Marketing & Member Services in advance - a minimum of seven days notice is required.
- A Dalplex member parking permit is included as part of your annual Dalplex membership, with the exception of Dalhousie faculty, staff or student memberships. Faculty, staff and student members must purchase a university parking permit through Dalhousie Security Services.
- Short term memberships and day and multi-visit passes are not eligible for Dalplex member parking permits - you can opt to either purchase a short term parking pass from Dalhousie Security Services, you can park at a meter or you can park in an non-metered spot from 4:30pm-1am, Monday to Friday and from 7am-1am on weekends.
- A Dalplex member parking permit allows you to park in designated member spaces in the Dalplex parking lot from 7am-4:30pm, Monday to Friday and in other non-metered spaces from 4:30pm-1am. Dalplex members can park in any non-metered spot in the Dalplex lot from 7am-1am on weekends.
- There are also five (5) accessible parking spots and six (6) electronic vehicle (EV) charging stations, all of which require a valid Dalplex or Dalhousie University parking permit. (The accessible parking spots require an accessible parking permit and only electronic vehicles may park at the EV charging stations.) EV charging stations are meter operated Monday - Friday between 7am-4:30pm.
- A parking permit does not guarantee a parking space - parking is subject to availability.
- Please ensure that your permit (including number and expiry) is clearly displayed.
- Parking in Dalplex member spaces is limited to 3 hours
- Dalplex patrons may also park in other Dalhousie parking lots, without a permit, Monday-Friday, 7pm-1am and on weekends during the day
- All other cars parked in the Dalplex parking lot Monday-Friday, 7am-4:30pm, must have proper Dalhousie University parking permits.
- Metered parking is available at Dalplex at the cost listed on the parking meter. Permits are not valid at meters.
- Any vehicles parking in fire lanes, at parking meters without paying the appropriate fees, or in other areas not specifically designated for parking will be subject to ticketing and/or towing at any time.
- The Dalplex parking lot is monitored by the Dalhousie Security Office. Tickets are the responsibility of the member or visitor and any dispute is to be directed to Dalhousie Security Services and the issuing officer.
- Do not store valuables in your vehicle and please keep your vehicle locked at all times. Dalplex is not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles or their contents.
Member Freezing Policy
Our membership freezing policy, in effect as of April 2015, is as follows:
- Memberships can be suspended or “frozen” for personal reasons once per membership year, at no cost, for a minimum of one (1) month and a maximum of four (4) months.
- Additional personal freezes within the same membership year are permitted at a cost of $25 per freeze and are required to be for a minimum of one (1) month and a maximum of four (4) months.
- Memberships can be frozen at any time for medical reasons for a minimum duration of one (1) month and require receipt of medical evidence from the member. There is no charge for a medical freeze.
- Members with family or add-on memberships can choose to freeze either one (1) or all memberships associated with their account. When a single membership is frozen, any additional time allocated to the membership will be divided equally among all associated memberships to ensure a consistent membership expiry date. When all associated memberships are frozen, they must be unfrozen at the same time.
- A minimum of three (3) days written notice and the return of membership cards and parking permits is required prior to authorizing a freeze.
- Pre-authorized payments or payroll deductions will continue while memberships are frozen but membership expiry dates will be adjusted accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is anyone allowed to freeze their membership?
YES, all the membership categories are eligible for a membership freeze.
Can I freeze my membership for more than 4 months?
YES, you can freeze your membership for longer than 4 months. A membership freeze for 4-8 months has a $25 admin fee while a freeze for 8 months or longer has a $50 admin fee.
If you have any other questions about our new freezing policy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can speak directly to one of our Customer Service Supervisors by calling 902-494-6162.
Member Cancellation Policy
- Memberships may be cancelled for a full refund within 10 days of date of purchase.
- After the inital 10 day trial period has ended, membership may be cancelled upon receipt of written notice (some conditions apply, see details below) from the member and return of Dalplex parking permit (if applicable).
- If membership cancellation occurs before the completion of the initial 12-month term, a cancellation fee of $50 will apply
- All cancellations must be requested in person at the Dalplex Customer Service desk or in writing via email@example.com. Regretfully we cannot accept cancellations over the phone.
- Non-use of the facility does not void the membership agreement and fees will not be refunded.
Cancellation of Paid-In-Full Membership:
- Cancellation requests must be made with a minimum of 30 days notice.
Cancellation of Pre-Authorized Payment Membership:
- Cancellation requests must be made a minimum of 30 days prior to the next preauthorized payment due date.
Cancellation of Dalhousie Faculty or Staff Membership with Payroll Deduction:
- Cancellation requests must be made a minimum of 30 days prior to the next preauthorized payroll deduction.
- The initial term of an annual Dalplex membership is 12 months.
- Memberships paid by monthly pre-authorized payments automatically renew for an additional 12 month term on the anniversary of the original term or any renewals thereof unless the member requests to cancel the membership in writing prior to renewal.
- If a member requests that we do not renew their membership after their initial 12 month term, the cancellation fee will be waived.
- Dalplex will provide the member with written notice of the upcoming auto renewal. It is the member’s responsibility to ensure all member contact information remains current.
- Membership fees will not be refunded if a member fails to cancel the membership prior to its automatic renewal as per the terms of our membership agreement.
- Complimentary memberships and multi-visit passes do not automatically renew.
Additional University Policies
Dalplex and Sexton Gym are facilities at Dalhousie University and therefore university policies apply.