What Campers Can Expect
A Typical Camp Day
- Drop-off begins 30 minutes prior to the start of the camp.
- Lunch is included for full day camps only. Lunch takes place in one of Dalhousie University's residence dining halls (campers walk to/from lunch with camp staff).
- Activities will include games, sport-specific skill development, free swim (full day camps only), and other activities. Activities may take place in specific camp location or other parts of campus.
- We ask that you pick up your child no more than 30 minutes after the end of the camp.
- Camp-specific itineraries are emailed to participants the week before camp begins.
What's Included (unless otherwise noted for a specific camp)
- daily cafeteria-style lunch
- daily swim
- a t-shirt/jersey for the camper
- one (1) complimentary Dal Tigers regular season single game pass
What to Bring
- Labeling your child’s belongings also makes it easier for our staff to identify and return lost items.
- Athletic attire: t-shirt, shorts, track pants, sweatshirt, sneakers
- Sun protective clothing and sunscreen
- Raincoat for rainy days
- Swimsuit and towel
- Water bottle
- Nut-free snacks for morning and afternoon snack breaks
- For Parents/Guardians: photo I.D. is required at camp pick-up
What NOT to Bring
- Cell phones
- Collector cards (i.e. Pokémon cards)
- Handheld games and electronics
- Toys and stuffed animals
- Money or debit cards (vending machines will not be allowed)
COVID-19 Rules and Precautions
- Everyone who enters a building at Dalhousie must be wearing a mask.
- We will be following all provincial day camp COVID-19 guidelines.
Lunches & Snacks
- Our full day summer camps include cafeteria-style lunches unless otherwise stated.
- These lunches take place on campus in a residence dining hall and begin at approximately 11:30 each day. (Please check your camp itinerary for the exact start time).
- One week prior to camp a menu will be emailed to the parents, along with camp itinerary.
- Please list any food allergies or dietary restrictions on the Supplemental Information and Medical Form (Appendix B).
- If your child's allergies/dietary restriction require an alternate lunch option, please contact the Camp Coordinator a minimum of five (5) days prior to your camp start date.
- All campers under 12 years of age who want to swim in the deep end must complete a swim test on the first day of camp if they wish to participate in the daily swims.
- The swim tests consists of a 50-meter swim without stopping, using any combination of strokes (excludes backstroke - must be on front) and treading water for one minute.
- Children who pass this test will be given a bracelet that allows them access to the deep end.
- If your child is unable to complete the swim test or does not want to swim in the deep end, they will be required to wear a personal flotation device (PFD) provided by Dalplex and will not be permitted in the deep end. Fitness belts, puddle jumpers or other means of personal floatation are not acceptable.
Where to Go
- Your child’s day will begin and end at Dalplex, Wickwire Field, or Studley Gym.
- Please refer to your camp itinerary (emailed out 1-2 weeks prior to camp start date) for the specific location.
- Activities will take place at various indoor and outdoor locations on Dalhousie campus.
- One week prior to camp you will be emailed a parking pass allowing you to briefly park in the Dalplex and Wickwire Field lots during drop-off (8:00-9:00am) and pick-up (4:00-5:00pm).
- If you are parking on campus for an extended period of time, please use the metered parking.
- If you are uncertain of parking regulations, please see the signs posted in the parking lot.
If your child requires inclusion support in order to participate in the camp program, we encourage you to contact the Campus Recreation Coordinator at 902-494-2002 to discuss what options are available.