Valued members and students,
We’re pleased to announce that provided Phase 5 of Nova Scotia’s Reopening Plan begins on Monday, October 4, 2021, Dalplex will be relaxing most restrictions currently in place through a phased approach. As we embark on this new system aimed at meeting Nova Scotia’s Proof of Full Vaccination Policy while protecting your privacy, we ask for your cooperation, patience, understanding and respect towards our employees.
Proof of Full Vaccination
Starting Monday, October 4, 2021, proof of full vaccination will be required for those 12 years of age or older to use Dalhousie University’s athletic facilities. This applies to all students, faculty, staff, community members and rental users. It will also be a requirement to attend varsity games and participate in intramural programming.
Our facility system was not designed to accommodate something like tracking proof of vaccination; however we have designed a process that will require us to confirm your proof of full vaccination one time only. In order to help us facilitate the implementation of this process and keep wait times manageable, we will continue the use of appointment bookings until at least Wednesday, October 13, 2021 for all areas of the facility.
After Wednesday, October 13, 2021, we expect appointments will only be required for fitness classes at Dalplex and Sexton as they will still be limited in their capacity depending on the type of class. Appointments will also continue to be required for climbing, racquet court sports and the indoor golf mat.
Showing your Proof of Vaccination
Beginning Monday, October 4, we ask that you show up at least 15 minutes before the start of your first appointment so we can verify your proof of full vaccination. You will need your proof of full vaccination and your Dalplex membership card/Dal ID.
- Check in with the greeter and respond to screening questions
- Head to the Client Experience Centre BEFORE proceeding to the turnstiles (your card won’t work yet!)
- Provide your membership/student card and proof of full vaccination – we WILL NOT be collecting or storing your proof of vaccination records
- They will activate your membership/student card for use
- Proceed to the turnstiles, tap your card to gain entry and head to your appointment
Your card will NOT work until you follow the steps above and access will be denied or delayed.
When you arrive for your second and future appointments, check in with the greeter and indicate you have already shown your proof of full vaccination and proceed to your appointment by tapping your card to get through the turnstiles.
If you have received a medical exception for COVID-19 vaccination (a Valid Medical Contraindication for COVID-19 Vaccination letter), you must present this letter in lieu of proof of full vaccination.
Below are additional important pieces of information you should familiarize yourself with:
- Like the rest of Dalhousie’s campuses, masks remain mandatory in all areas of our athletic facilities except while you are engaged in physical activity until at least December 31, 2021.
- We have set a target date of Wednesday, October 13, 2021, where appointments will no longer be required to use the fitness hall, fieldhouse, track or pool.
- Appointments will continue to be required for all fitness classes as there is limited capacity for each class (at Dalplex and Sexton), although we expect an increase to capacity to all classes based on occupancy loads. Classes will take place in one studio only (no overflow studio).
- Appointments will continue to be required for climbing. Capacity will be increased to 12 people per appointment.
- Members wishing to play a racquet court sport or use the indoor golf mat will continue to do so online through our appointment system. We will not be going back to our previous court booking method.
- Towel, locker and equipment rental services will return when appointment bookings end.
- Day use lockers will continue to be widely available.
- Access to the fieldhouse from the lower level locker rooms will be open.
- The use of hair dryers and fans will now be permitted.
- Saunas will be open.
- In the coming weeks, we will reinstate the sale of day and multiday visit passes and will be available to redeem.
- Buffer lanes in the pool have been eliminated and the pool will remain in short course for the remainder of the year. There will be no limit on the number of swimmers per lane.
Moving cardio and strength training equipment back into the fitness hall is a sizeable undertaking that requires planning, time, and space to manoeuvre big heavy pieces of equipment, thus there may be some closures and disruptions in the fitness hall as we prepare for full operation. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this process.
Here’s what to expect in Truro at the Langille Athletics Centre:
- Proof of full vaccination will be required to use the facility.
- Appointments will still be required to and including October 13, 2021..
- Cardio and weight room capacities will increase
- Towel and locker services will return as will equipment loans.
- The use of hair dryers and fans will be permitted.
We will continue to be diligent in our cleaning practices and ask you to do the same by using the wipes provided to help ensure the health and safety of members and staff.
We’d like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude for your continued loyalty and for making Dalplex, Sexton Gym and Langille Athletic Centre your athletic and recreation facilities of choice. We know this has been a trying time for everyone and we ask for your continued patience, understanding and kindness as we continue to navigate our way through the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more information related to Dalhousie University’s COVID-19 response visit dal.ca/coronavirus. For the latest information on COVID-19 from trusted sources, please visit the Public Health Agency of Canada and Nova Scotia Public Health websites.