We’re pleased to announce that provided Phase 5 of Nova Scotia’s Reopening Plan begins on Wednesday, September 15, 2021, Dalplex will be loosening most restrictions currently in place.
Here’s what to expect in Halifax:
- Just like the rest of Dalhousie’s campus, masks remain mandatory in all areas of our athletic facilities except while you are engaged in physical activity until at least the end of September.
- Sexton Gym will be open.
- Appointments will no longer be required to use the fitness hall, fieldhouse, track or pool.
- Appointments will continue to be required for all fitness classes (at Dalplex and Sexton) as they will still be limited in capacity depending on the type of class. We expect all classes will have an increase in capacity. Classes will take place in one studio only (no overflow studio).
- Appointments will continue to be required for climbing. Capacity will be increased to 12 people per appointment.
- Members wishing to play a racquet court sport or use the indoor golf mat will continue to do so online through our appointment system. We will not be going back to our previous court booking method.
- Towel, locker and equipment rental services will return.
- Day use lockers will now be widely available.
- Access to the fieldhouse from the lower level locker rooms will be open.
- The use of hair dryers and fans will now be permitted.
- Saunas will be open.
- Day and multiday visit passes will be sold and available to be redeemed.
- Buffer lanes in the pool will be eliminated and the pool will remain in short course until the first week of October. There will be no limit on the number of swimmers per lane.
Moving cardio and strength training equipment back into the fitness hall is a very large undertaking that requires a lot of planning, time and space to manoeuver big heavy pieces of equipment so the fitness hall will be closed on Tuesday, September 14, 2021 starting at 8:30am for the entire day. Appointments will remain in place for 6:30am and 7:30am that day. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this process.
Here’s what to expect in Truro (Langille Athletics Centre):
- No appointments will be required to use the facility.
- Towel and locker services will return as will equipment loans.
- The use of hair dryers and fans will be permitted.
- Drop in basketball, badminton and pickleball will resume based on facility availability.
We will continue to be diligent in our cleaning practices and ask you to do the same by using the wipes provided to help ensure the health and safety of members and staff.
As announced during the September 8, 2021 Nova Scotia COVID-19 briefing, proof of full vaccination will be required for those 12 or older to use a fitness facility starting October 4, 2021.
We’d like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude for your continued loyalty and for making Dalplex, Sexton Gym and Langille Athletic Centre your athletic and recreation facilities of choice. We look forward to moving into Phase 5!
For more information related to Dalhousie University’s COVID-19 response visit dal.ca/coronavirus. For the latest information on COVID-19 from trusted sources, please visit the Public Health Agency of Canada and Nova Scotia Public Health websites.