News» Go to news main
Plans are moving forward on the new Dalhousie Event Centre
Announced in June 2021, the Dalhousie Event Centre will provide an on-campus home for student ice-related programming (intramurals and clubs), varsity athletics, and the broader Dal community. Featuring an NHL-sized ice sheet with an alternate floor surface, a state-of-the-art physiotherapy clinic and event spaces with catering capabilities, the Centre will be a dynamic and inclusive space for Dalhousie and the greater Halifax community.
“As our plans start to come to life and work begins to prepare the site, our excitement around this project has never been higher,” says Tim Maloney, Executive Director, Athletics & Recreation. “Our enthusiasm for this project is fueled by what it will mean for our campus, community and valued stakeholders.”
Quebec-based ABCP Architects has been selected as the design firm and will work with local firm FBM who designed the Dalhousie Fitness Centre that opened in May 2018.
A construction-managed project, EllisDon will be the construction management firm overseeing the progressive packages through each construction phase.
North America’s industry leading rink engineering firm and NHL partner, I.B. Storey Inc. has been contracted by Dalhousie to consult on the design and construction.
In the initial phase, there are components of the project that need to be completed before construction on the new building can begin including the removal of the tennis courts located on Alumni Crescent and the construction of a parking lot in their place.
April – June 2022
- Reconfigure the entrance of Alumni Crescent into a two-way entrance and exit
- Removal of tennis courts
- Backfill, grading and install of electrical for the new parking lot
- Place new curb, gutter, asphalt, pavement markings, trees and light standards
- Reconfigure the current exit of Alumni Crescent into a two-way entrance and exit
- Open parking lot for use
Late June – July 2022
- Shut down current pay & display parking lot and current entrance to Alumni Crescent
- Mobilize the construction site including fencing and construction trailer in preparation of the removal of the existing out buildings
Plans are currently in the works for an information sharing session with the Dalhousie and Halifax communities in the coming months.
For more information on the Dalhousie Event Centre, please visit the project website.