News» Go to news main
Elimination of appointments for fitness hall and pool
Valued members and students,
Beginning on Thursday, October 14, 2021, appointments will no longer be required to use the fitness hall, basketball courts or pool.
Appointments will continue to be required for the following:
- All fitness classes (at Dalplex and Sexton)
- Racquet court sports and the indoor golf mat. Appointments replace our old court booking system.
Like the rest of Dalhousie’s campuses, masks remain mandatory in all areas of our athletic facilities except while you are engaged in physical activity until at least December 31, 2021.
- Access to the fieldhouse from the lower level locker rooms will be open starting Thursday morning.
- Basketball court use is drop-in only.
- Buffer lanes in the pool have been eliminated and the pool will remain in short course for the remainder of the year. There will be no limit on the number of swimmers per lane.
- In the coming weeks, we will reinstate the sale of day and multiday visit passes and will be available to redeem.
- Dalhousie Tigers events are back on campus. Visit daltigers.ca for information and game times.
Proof of Full Vaccination
Proof of full vaccination is required for those 12 years of age or older to use Dalhousie University’s athletic facilities. This applies to all students, faculty, staff, community members and rental users. It will also be a requirement to attend varsity games and participate in intramural programming.
Our facility system was not designed to accommodate something like tracking proof of vaccination; however we have designed a process requiring we confirm your proof of full vaccination one time only. We ask for your continued cooperation, patience, understanding and respect towards our employees as we work to meet Nova Scotia’s Proof of Full Vaccination Policy and protect your privacy.
Showing your Proof of Vaccination
You will need your proof of full vaccination and your Dalplex membership card/Dal ID.
- Check in with the greeter and respond to screening questions
- Head to the Client Experience Centre BEFORE proceeding to the turnstiles (your card won’t work yet!)
- Provide your membership/student card and proof of full vaccination – we WILL NOT be collecting or storing your proof of vaccination records
- They will activate your membership/student card for use
- Proceed to the turnstiles, tap your card to gain entry and head to your appointment
Your card will NOT work until you follow the steps above and access will be denied or delayed.
When you arrive for your second and future workouts, check in with the greeter and indicate you have already shown your proof of full vaccination and proceed by tapping your card to get through the turnstiles.
If you have received a medical exception for COVID-19 vaccination (a Valid Medical Contraindication for COVID-19 Vaccination letter), you must present this letter in lieu of proof of full vaccination.
Moving cardio and strength training equipment back into the fitness hall is a sizeable undertaking that requires planning, time, and space to manoeuvre big heavy pieces of equipment, thus there may be some closures and disruptions in the fitness hall as we prepare for full operation. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this process.
We will continue to be diligent in our cleaning practices and ask you to do the same by using the wipes provided to help ensure the health and safety of members and staff.
We’d like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude for your continued loyalty and for making Dalplex, Sexton Gym and Langille Athletic Centre your athletic and recreation facilities of choice. We know this has been a trying time for everyone and we ask for your continued patience, understanding and kindness as we continue to navigate our way through the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more information related to Dalhousie University’s COVID-19 response visit dal.ca/coronavirus. For the latest information on COVID-19 from trusted sources, please visit the Public Health Agency of Canada and Nova Scotia Public Health websites.