News» Go to news main
Sexton Gym renovation announcement
We are very pleased to announce that we are preparing to move forward with transformative renovations to the Sexton Gym.
The Sexton campus fitness renovation is part of a $26M Dalhousie University Campus Master Plan project that also included approximately $23M for a new fitness centre on South Street (due to open Friday, May 25) and $1M for renewal of the Dalplex fieldhouse floor (project is underway and estimated to be complete in July 2018). $2M was allocated for renewed and expanded fitness facilities at Sexton Campus.
This comprehensive renovation is a direct response to feedback provided by students on Sexton campus who identified improvements to strength/conditioning facilities and the creation a universal locker room as their top priorities. Ultimately the best solution for the field was to re-turf with natural sod rather than replace it with artificial turf. This will allow the best use of the limited space we have available, as well as provide a more consistent and robust group fitness program, ultimately better serving Dalhousie’s students, faculty and staff and Sexton Gym members.
A brief overview of proposed renovations include:
- turning the existing squash courts into a new and larger strength and conditioning room
- renovating the current strength and conditioning space into a fitness studio and stretching room
- changing the current stretching room and women’s locker room into a new universal locker room, as well as an updated women’s locker room
- re-sodding the Sexton field
Additional information with respect to the renovation will be made public once planning is finalized.
If you have questions about your Sexton Gym membership, please contact our customer service supervisors at 902-494-6162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tue, October 9 (UPDATE AS OF 2:30PM): Dalplex to reopen at 4:45pm
- October schedule disruptions: Fieldhouse courts
- October schedule disruptions: Pool
- October 8: Thanksgiving holiday hours
- Congratulations to our Member Appreciation Month prize winners!
- Snap a #SweatySelfie for a chance at a free fitbit!
- Parking space changes in Dalplex lot ‑ effective Sept. 24
- Upcoming accessibility audits at Dalplex