Select a topic from the drop down menu below for more information:
COVID-19 Changes to Intramurals and Recreation
Recreation Options for your Department/Society/Residence
Campus Recreation has had a few requests for facility space to help integrate incoming students to depatments and better welcome them to the program (i.e. a soccer game, ultimate frisbee, etc. between your dept/society/residence members). This is something we can absolutely help you with. Any and all ideas for self-facilitated recreation will be considered with the following considerations:
- Can this activity follow the current Dalhousie, Dalplex, NSHA and PSO guidelines regarding COVID-19? (max participants, protocols, etc)
- Are we able to track participants for COVID-19 contact tracing?
If your activity is approved, facility space can be arranged and your activity can be self-facilitated. This is available to you all semester. At any point requests for these types of activities can be made to email@example.com.
We are looking to run a limited number of intramural programs with a start date in the later weeks of October. All leagues will have a TBD start date as we will have to gauge interest and run only those that are deemed viable leagues. A schedule for this will be live on our website by the end of next week with games times/locations and registration will open for these leagues October 9th. Please read over the modification we have made to allow intramurals operation:
- All leagues will be coed and will be recreational (as opposed to the competitive leagues we’ve had in past years). This is to ensure more students have accessible recreation as we navigate education in the COVID-19 era. If there are any issues with coed participation numbers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the issues and work out a solution.
- As in other years, but especially in our current situation, there will be a ZERO TOLERANCE policy on any behaviour that is unsafe – from COVID-19 protocols to aggressive behaviour in the heat of the game. It is a privilege to have an opportunity to recreate in this way in the wake of a global pandemic and any behaviour that can take away from the recreation experience for yourself or others will absolutely not be tolerated. Any person(s) who neglect(s) our policy will risk their participation as well as their teams participation in our leagues.
- Only a select number of sports will be operated and only 1-2 leagues will be available for each. They include soccer, ultimate frisbee, basketball and volleyball. All leagues will be played at Wickwire Field and Studley Gym as to limit contact with other Dalplex/Dalhousie members.
If you have any questions about self-facilitated recreation options or intramuals, please email email@example.com.
While in-person campus recreation has been suspended to combat the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be offering esports for all students and dalplex members.
Current offerings are NBA2K20, NHL20 & FIFA20 on XBOX & PS4 consoles.
An overview of how leagues will run and specific game information can be found here: esports overview[PDF].
Any and all questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must be affiliated with Dalhousie University as a full-time or a part-time student (with a current Dalplex membership), a faculty or staff member (with a current Dalplex membership), or an adult Dalplex member.
- You must have a current student ID or Dalplex membership card and must bring university or Dalplex-issued photo ID with you to each intramural activity.
- Part-time and co-op students can purchase a single-term membership for the Dalplex to be eligible for intramurals.
How to Register
Click REGISTER NOW on the right-hand column of this page to get started. Instructions on how to register can be found in the document below.
- On campus intramural activities are free for those who are eligible to participate.
- Ice hockey, curling, and summer softball registrations require non-refundable fees (see below).
- Ice hockey leagues: $300 per team (please note that each hockey teams may purchase a 15 jersey set with numbers for $225+HST). Fees cover both the fall and winter semester.
- Individuals without a team can register for Ice Hockey by paying a $40 non-refundable fee for the season (includes fall and winter) at the Dalplex Customer Service Desk for the Co-ed Residence League (Wednesday Nights) and Women's Hockey League (Sunday Nights). This fee also includes a jersey.
- Curling: $50 per team (team registration only)
- Summer Softball: $150 per team (team registration only)
In place of the old performance fee/intramural deposit a new non-refundable “forfeit fee” of $20 is to be paid when a team defaults. This must be paid within 48 hours of the forfeit and is to be paid in person at the Dalplex front desk in order for the team to remain in the league. If a team defaults a second time they must have permission from the Campus Recreation Coordinator to be able to pay the fee / remain in the league. If a team is on the waitlist they will be given priority to obtain the spot in the league if the forfeit fee is not paid within 48 hours of the game. To avoid a forfeit the team must contact email@example.com 24 hours in advance of the game to concede event.